Referral Information – Eastern BC Region
NOTE: ALL urgent Orthopedic Surgeon referrals including trauma and fracture patients MUST include a call to the orthopaedic surgeon on-call.
Banff Sport Medicine provides world-class care in sport-related musculoskeletal trauma and reconstructive surgery. We provide clinical care and surgical reconstruction of sports trauma, with particular interest in the knee and shoulder.
There is an average 2-4 month wait for new patient appointments, with triage completed using evidence-based guidelines based on injury type and severity, patient age, profession, and outcomes research.
PLEASE NOTE: In accordance with AAC /COA guidelines for knee arthroscopy and injections for knee osteoarthritis referrals for meniscal tears or knee OA must have completed a minimum 6 months of comprehensive non-operative management including injections prior to being triaged.
- Banff Sport Medicine’s (BSM) strengths are in tertiary care sport medicine orthopaedics and we appreciate referrals with that specialty focus. Our main focus is the treatment of knee ligament injuries, patellar instability, traumatic and/or limited osteochondral pathology, shoulder instability and traumatic rotator cuff tears in the active patient.
- Golden and Fernie Hospitals anaesthesia criteria restricts surgery patients to ASA risk level 1 or 2. This excludes patients with multiple comorbidities, cardiac stents and obesity with a BMI of 35 or greater.
- Physicians and physiotherapists residing in the Eastern BC region are welcome to submit a completed BSM Referral Form or their own letter along with required information (refer to Required Info below).
- Patients who require sport medicine assessment should be referred to the physicians at Banff Sport Medicine – Canmore Clinic as there is currently no sport medicine services in Golden.
- The following information MUST be included with each referral:
- Patient: full name, address, date of birth, PHN, contact phone numbers and email addresses, the reason for the referral, any recent relevant investigative tests or diagnostic imaging results, and relevant past medical history.
- Referrer: full name, practice ID number, contact phone number
Acceptance/Refusal of Referrals
- In accordance with CPSA guidelines, within 14 days of receiving a referral our office will either advise the referrer and the patient that the referral has been accepted, or advise the referrer the referral has been declined.
- Our office will either contact the patient to book an appointment as soon as the referral is accepted or we will advise the patient that we will call back once an appointment becomes available.